Sunday, March 1, 2009

Vineyard & Winery In a New Location

These have been around for thousands of years, so if you start a new one, it's got to stand out as different.  I believe that the key in this industry is location

I say stay away from Napa Valley.  If you're going to do that, why don't you just go all the way and start one in France?  No, there's just too much competition.  It could be done, but I just don't see this as a huge opportunity for a business.

I propose a vineyard in the middle of the country.  There are tons in Missouri, and they are doing quite well, but they are still very young.  You aren't going to find 100 year old vines in Missouri, and that's why there is opportunity.  Explore new grape varieties, and compete with the young vineyards for a piece of the pie.

Another location idea is something near Birmingham, or another wealthy city in the south.  The environment of a vineyard would be perfect for weddings, so it would provide additional revenue. 

2 comments:

  1. I live like an hour away from Napa and the wineries are ALL OVER THE PLACE! Heck, even where I live, they're all over the town I'm in and the surrounding area. Anywhere there is a good climate for the growth of grapes and not a lot of competition would be a good spot for a local winery. Even if you just sold state wide it may be profitable. But starting up your own winery is a lot easier said than done! Could go far though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By "there" I mean Birmingham or Missouri by the way...

    ReplyDelete