Thursday, March 5, 2009

Retail Stores (General)

I am afraid of opening a retail store.  Long hours, hiring challenges, turnover, stocking shelves, and the list goes on.  But I've had a positive thought about them and I think it is important to think about.

Retail is simple.  It's so much simpler to sell things from a store than ideas or services that are less tangible.  It's very hard work, but not complex. 

Also, everyone seems to intuitively understand a retail shop.  You buy stuff cheap.  You open the doors to your store.  People come in and look around.  If they see something they want, they pay you the amount you printed on a price tag.   You stock stuff that sells and get rid of stuff that doesn't.  Very straight forward.   

So what am I so scared of?

Thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I'm with you, but I think I'm getting over the "scared" part. You may see an Allen Brothers fly shop in G-town soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plus, the world is not quite completely "webified" (and I doubt it will ever be). One of the big driving factors for me is that there are some serious advantages to a "physical" location.

    ReplyDelete